Friday, January 8, 2016

New RPC library released, Smart-RPC.NET v1.0.8

A few weeks ago I started to play with a Universal Windows application on my Raspberry PI 2. I was able to interface with a WCF service, however running a webservice was a no-go.

At that time I decided it was time to create an RPC library, RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call. One of the reasons was that I was not satisfied with the found solutions. These solutions were either too complex, they missed certain functionality or some other reason. Another reason was that I saw it as a technical challenge.

During the last weeks I created the first version of the Smart-RPC.NET library. It is compiled as a portable assembly so using it in a Desktop or a Universal Windows application should offer no problems.

Some basic functionality:
  • Architecture in which certain parts can be extended with custom functionality. For example the communication path used between a client and a service can be customized.
  • Connection management, connection between client and service is monitored. When possible the connection is recreated from the client side.
  • Execution time of requests are monitor and terminated when the maximum period is exceeded. Client is informed when this happens to his request.
  • Notification mechanism in which the service side can trigger the client(s) without a direct request.

On the website the following is available:
  • a link to the project page at NuGet.
  • a link to a zipped example showing how to set up a client and service.
  • design information containing class diagrams and sequence diagrams detailing the mechanisms provided.

In the near future I will adapt the client side so that it can run on the micro .NET framework. I will be testing this on my Netduino Plus and Netduino Plus 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment