Sunday, November 13, 2011

[Diving] #Diving in a #Cenote in Playa Del Carmen, #Mexico

Last October I went diving for the first time in a cenote. A cenote is a deep natural pit filled with fresh water and most of the cenotes are part of quite extensive cave systems. The nice thing of the cenotes is that the water is very clear due to the natural filtration through the ground. This gives a surreal effect of floating through the caves since the presence of the water is not visible.

In some of the pictures a halocline effect is seen, this is due to the mixture of fresh water and salt water. This also indicates that the cave system is quite extensive since we were more then 4 kilometers away from the sea !

This was the first holiday that I used my new combination of the Canon 60D and the Ikelite underwater housing so I had to experiment a lot. So some of the pictures could be better ... The Ikelite strobe/videolight was perfect and gave more light then any of the divelights I have seen down there.









1 comment:

  1. Wow!! this is so great! wish I can do diving too :( I love all the pictures here!:) Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience under water!:)

    ReplyDelete