Monday, August 15, 2011

[Photo] Canon 60D or 600D


Recently I deciced I wanted to make FullHD movies when diving. I had the combination of the Canon S70 and the matching underwater housing. However the problem was that this camera can only take movies of 640*480 which was nice up to a few years ago.

The Canon 500D I had was able to take FullHD movies but only at 20 frames per second. That was not enough for me and so I had to replace it with another camera.

I started to do some research and finally ended up at either the Canon 600D or the Canon 60D. There are quite some differences and I am not only talking about the price. They can however both make FullHD movies at 24, 25 and 30 frames per second. Both of them also have a display which can swivel and that is also one thing I wanted to have in my next camera.

This link on snapsort shows a nice comparison of the 600D and the 60D and based on this I made my choice for the 60D. The following differences made me choose for the 60D:
  • Pentaprism instead of a pentamirror
  • 9 cross-type focus points instead of 1
  • Longer battery life 1100 shoots instead of only 440 shots. Especially important when diving, hard to change the battery.
  • Faster continuous shooting, 5.3 fps instead of 3.7 fps
  • Body somewhat bigger and heavier, for large hands this is also a plus

So what leaves me now is searching for a new underwater housing for my Canon 60D. I probably end up with the Ikelite housing together with the DS161 strobe. But that's something for a next post !

A review site regarding the Canon 60D

No comments:

Post a Comment